CALL FOR PAPERS
INTERNATIONAL BLACK GENEALOGY
CONFERENCE AND RESOURCE EXPO
“Oral History Reflections-What Does the Story Mean to Me?”
Crystal Gateway Marriott
Arlington, VA – SEPTEMBER 1-3, 2016
The International Black Genealogy Summit (IBGS) is pleased to announce an invitation to submit lecture proposals for the 2016 IBGS Conference and Resource Expo. The three-day conference is expected to draw over 400 participants, speakers and exhibitors.
A wide variety of presentations will be considered including children’s genealogy, web sites, Black research in the U.S. and internationally (presentations about researching African records to give a more global focus), use of records and repositories either digital or brick-and-mortar, methodology, skill building, cultural and ethnic research in other countries, medical history, writing, publishing your family history, computers and technology, genetics and DNA research, migration, immigration and naturalization records. The committee would like to encourage if anyone has Original topic submissions are encouraged. The IBGS Program Committee will consider proposals, workshops and other ground-breaking presentations. Digital projector presentations are strongly encouraged. Presentation time slots are a total of 60 minutes in length, including a 10-minute question-and-answer period. Speakers may submit multiple proposals. The IBGS Program Committee may select none, some, or all of a speaker’s proposals. Speaker will provide his or her own laptop computer for digital presentations.
Speakers participating in the Conference will receive the following compensation package:
- Complimentary registration for both days, with conference syllabus in print or CD format
- $100 per lecture honorarium
- 2 night hotel stay at Crystal Gateway Marriott – if speaker chooses to stay at another hotel, the hotel allowance does not apply. Room nights are not part of the compensation package for local speakers.
- Ticket to luncheon and banquet
- Presentations with more than one speaker will share the compensation package equally
- Promotion – links from the IBGS web site to the speaker’s web site
Interested speakers should submit proposals electronically in PDF or Word format.
The proposal(s) will be limited to two pages using the following format:
- Your name, address, telephone, fax and e-mail address
- Presentation title
- Brief (25 word) topic summary for the IBGS program
- Detailed description or outline of the presentation (for IBGS’ web site, press releases and other materials)
- Audience level (beginner, intermediate or advanced)
- Format of audio-visual material (PowerPoint, multimedia, etc.)
- A summary of recent speaking experience
- Brief (50 word) speaker biography for IBGS program
- Sponsorship (if applicable)
All submittals considered for the 2016 IBGS conference shall only be used by the committee for review.
30 September 2015 Call for Papers issued
1 February 2016 Call for Papers deadline for submission
1 March 2016 Invitations to selected speakers
Questions, inquiries, or submissions can be emailed to program@BlackGenealogySummit.com with the subject line Call for Papers Submission.
For more information, please go to our Web site www.BlackGenealogySummit.com click on Call for Papers Information.
Thank you for all you do to promote genealogy.
Bernard Wilson, Dr. Shelley Murphy
IBGS Program Co-Chairs